Canvas is an online learning tool and tablet application that will provide our students and teachers with an all-in-one hub for materials, assignments, due dates, and teacher-student communication.
FXW’s Canvas Site
Accessing Canvas on a Laptop or Desktop If you choose to access Canvas on a laptop or desktop computer the following information will be helpful. As of August 4, 2014, Canvas supports the following desktop browsers and Flash versions:
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11
- Chrome 35 and 36
- Safari 6 and 7
- Firefox 30 and 31 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 12 and 13 (for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
Logging into Canvas Through a Web Browser Go to fxw.instructure.com. Enter your username and password (1). Once logged-in, select “Courses” in the global navigation bar (2). Choose from the list of courses.
What will I find in Canvas? You student(s)’ teachers will be using Canvas initially to do the following:
- Posting homework
- Sharing announcements
- Sharing assignments
- As a blog to share what’s happening in their classroom
- As the official gradebook
- To take attendance
Canvas offers many other features, so as the year progresses you might notice some additions to this list as teachers and students begin to try out other things!
Setting Up Notification Preferences in Canvas You will receive regular notifications in Canvas. Here’s how to set up these notifications to your liking:
- Log into Canvas through a web browser (preferably on a laptop) > Settings (upper right hand corner)
- Add your desired way to be notified.
- Click on the Notifications tab on the left hand navigation bar. From here you can set your desired notification settings.
- Set the frequency of your notifications. You may modify these settings at any time.
- 1. Immediate notification
- 2. Daily notifications
- 3. Weekly notifications
- 4. Remove notification
These are YOUR preferences. Select the information you want to receive. If you do not change anything, you will receive the default notifications. Your setting notifications will apply to all of your student(s)’ courses. For more detailed directions (and a video on setting notifications) visit the Canvas Help Center:
Remember this is FXW’s first year using Canvas, so the extent of use in each class over time will be different as we all learn how to best use it!