The Frances Xavier Warde community fosters the development of socially and emotionally competent children and adults who are capable of achieving success in school and life. Through teaching, modeling, and reinforcing knowledge, attitudes, and skills, all FXW children and adults grow in their self-awareness, self-management, responsible decision making, social awareness and relationship skills. In this vision we believe:
- Children thrive in a safe and respectful physical and emotional environment.
- Shared morals and values, rooted in Catholic tradition, cultivate a sense of responsibility for all and the world we will inherit.
- The collaboration of school, home and community supports a culture where children and adults live these skills and attitudes.
What are the Social and Emotional Competencies?
- Self-Awareness: Students will be able to identify their feelings.
- Self-Management: Students will know how to regulate and apply appropriate emotional responses to life situations.
- Responsible Decision Making: Students will demonstrate personal decision-making skills; they will know how to identify alternative actions and their consequences.
- Social Awareness: Students will develop empathy: the ability to understand other people’s nonverbal and verbal emotional messages.
- Relationship Skills: Students will be able to establish healthy relationships by communication clearly, listening actively, cooperating, resisting social pressure, negotiating conflict constructively, and seeking help.