The Preschool Program at The Frances Xavier Warde School promotes the physical, social, emotional, spiritual and cognitive development of the children. Our educational philosophy concentrates on play-to-learn activities, with an emphasis on sensory integration, language development and socialization. Joyful, nurturing classes are print-rich environments with abundant opportunities for daily fine and gross motor activities, as well as arts and craft explorations. Parallel play in small groups encourages social development. Through the play experiences, children begin to develop an understanding of self, others, and their environment. Teachers facilitate interactions that provide the children with opportunities to develop self-esteem, social competence and intellectual growth. Throughout the year, the emphasis broadens to include authentic experiences in early literacy, mathematics, science and social studies. Also, preschool children are provided with opportunities to work with specialists in the areas of art, library, music and Spanish. In this caring, inclusive and positive environment, all children can develop and learn to their fullest potential. Teachers and families partner to ensure that the school provides high-quality care and education for children and that parents feel both welcomed and supported.
FXW’s Preschool Program follows the Continuity of Care (COC) model
What does this look like at FXW? The children remain in the program with the same teachers and classmates over their two years in preschool.
What does continuity of care provide for my child?
- Your child will have a secure attachment with his/her teachers.
- This healthy relationship allows your child to play, explore and interact with teachers in a comfortable, stable and predictable setting.
- Teachers will know children’s needs and backgrounds
- Your child will be able to establish friendships and deepen them over time.
- The time together with peers provides your child opportunities to develop social skills. Children need many experiences in a comfortable atmosphere to be with other children to relate, communicate, make decisions, and accept responsibility.
- Research shows a rise in language development and vocabulary and less disruptive behaviors.
What does continuity of care do for me as a parent of the FXW community?
- You and the teachers can develop a healthy parent-teacher partnership.
- Partnerships allow children to see the important adults in their lives working together to support their development.
- You can develop friendships and a strong sense of community with other parents in your classroom as you attend student and school events.